19 March, 2009

If it's Tuesday it must be Frankfort

Tuesday on the road again.
After a late night doing laundry and watching a movie, we were up early on Tuesday so we could head into the Smokey mountains to Gatlinburg. I had no idea that we would be going through Pigeon Forge, Dolly Patrons’ hometown and home to Dollywood. Wow , what a tourist trap. I can see why people go though, there are oodles to do for kids and adults. Yes I am a country music fan.
Driving through, we had fog most of the way, when it started to lift the Mountains were beautiful.100_6085
I never knew I missed mountains as much as I do. This trip has been eye opening in that event. 100_6100

We made it to the Smokey MTN spinnery
100_6088 about 10 am and the owner was wonderful. I asked about local wools and she had said they were out.
She did point me to some camel (no I did not buy any) and she showed me some Vicuna100_6096, which was 300+ an ounce, yeah a bit out of my price range.
It was OMG SOFT!! yes, I am talking orgasm inducing fiber.

I did pickup some Shetland wool and a skein of alpaca (over 600 yards) to make something. I also picked up some soap to use for making laundry soap. Yummy smelling, called country kitchen.
Oh, the owner showed me how to comb a top 100_6090 100_6091
and pull finger roving with a diz.
I want a diz now 100_6094 too cool.

100_6098100_6099100_6095
Cash Reg
Look at this cash register, yes she used it to ring up our purchases.

After we left and headed back through the mountains100_6101 to Frankfort, KY.

On the way into Frankfort, we stopped at the Travel Welcome center for culture.
So many neat hand made items. There was a spinning display Spinning display
Metal roses 100_6104
and animals. Cat and mouse100_6107Me and a metal moose


We went to The Woolery.
This is a shop that has been online for a while and open since 1981, but is just opening a brick and mortar storefront.
The Woolery
Chris and Nancy Miller, the owners.
The shop is beautiful.
They have their official opening in April and AnitaT works thereAnita and I
(can you tell my back was hurting in these photos?)
It was so great to see her again. We took pictures, I bought smaller bobbins for my Babe, YAY they sell Babe stuff.
(I will be getting my conversion kit from them when I pay off the credit card from the trip)
After going to the store, we went and got a hotel for the night.
Even with all the driving today, this was the most relaxing day of the trip.
100_6115
AnitaT and her husband came and picked me up and we headed out for dinner. Anita’s friend Paula met up with us at Johnnie Carino’s and we spent a few hours with good food, good conversation and good company.
100_6119
What a lovely set of people!
After, we headed over to Anita’s house, which BTW is beautiful!
Her “Crap” room is one I dream of having one day. I talked her into opening her box from the swap,100_6120100_6128 and we had a blast. I cannot say enough about this lady, if you ever have the chance to meet her, do so!
Her whole family was very inviting and comfortable.

Disclaimer: I am not a drinker so I am sure I was quite talkative after two drinks, so I apologize for anything I might have said during dinner or after, but man, I needed those drinks.
Thank you so much for a wonderful evening.

No comments: