30 July, 2016

10 months post RNY surgery- huge NSV!

Today I met another goal. A non-scale victory if you will. 
I finished my first 5k. 
For some, walking a 5k could be a normal occurrence. For myself, it was a goal. In May of 2014 I had knee surgery where I had cadaver parts installed  so I could walk without pain. For more than a year, I pushed to get "stiffy" to bend and move. In June of 2015, I had to go back in and have a bunch of scar tissue removed so that "stiffy" would bend and hold my weight so I could again walk. On September 30th, 2015, I had Roux en Y gastric bypass bariatric surgery to help me lose weight. I promised myself that if I was able to walk a 5k, I would then write to the family of the person who gave me "stiffy" , telling them that movement still happens because of their loved one. 
I got up at 530 this morning with that goal in mind. 
I did not finish first, but next to last. 
At least I finished! 
My wonderful husband was by my side the whole way. 
10 months out from gastric bypass, 1 year out from learning to walk again, 2 years out from reconstructive surgery. I finished my first 5k! 
I did not fail "stiffy". 
Thank you to the person who checked the box as an organ donor. May you rest in peace. 
I will now write that letter. 
You never know someone story when you look at them. 
My journey continues...


No comments: