13 November, 2015

Soup Weather

A storm has rolled into West Michigan. It is very windy outside, snow flurries with sleet and hail. It is truly the end of autumn and the beginning of winter even if the calendar says we have another month. Winter to me means big pots of soup. My husband, Sarge, really didn't like soup when we first moved in together. Over the years, he has learned that I make hearty soups, not soups that need a sandwich to go with in order to make you full. It's all about the protein and fiber that is in the soup. 
He got used to it because I love soup! I could eat it for lunch or dinner most nights of the week. I don't always make him eat soup, today I made him a pasta dish as well so he had a choice. 


Yes, I almost always cook in cast iron. 

Here is the soup I made today:

Chicken and vegetable soup

1 lb cooked smoked chicken- shredded
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup fat free Italian dressing
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can pinto beans
1 tbl better than bullion chicken
4-6 cups water

In Dutch oven or large pot put dressing and bring to a boil. Add chopped veggies. Cook until tender. Add remaining ingredients and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. 
Serves 8
218 calories, 21g protein, 6g fat per serving. 

I try to get 20g of protein at each main meal and this not only makes my tummy happy but it also gives me the protein I need. 
The dietitian told me to go up to 900 calories so my body doesn't go into starvation mode. I'm trying, it's not an overnight process.

Next up for me will be Italian wedding soup with fresh spinach and mini meatballs. Mmmm I'll post the recipe when I make it. 

1 comment:

Linette said...

LOVE your recipe for the soup and am so gonna have to try it, thank you so much for sharing (the pasta sauce looked really good too). =0)
Love your phlogs and am looking forward to seeing more from you.

Shutterbug Phlogger