27 November, 2012

Thank you my friends

After news I received tonight, I thought about what to post on here.
My online friendships are so much more than just online friendships. I think anyone who reads this blog will understand what I mean by that.
In 1996 this poem came out on the inter-webs:

Friends without Faces...
We sit and we type, and we stare at our screensWe can't help but wonder what all of this means.With mouse in hand ...we roam through this maze,On an infinite search...lost in a daze.
We chat with each other, we type all our woesAt times we'll band together to gang up on our foes.We wait for somebody, to type out our nameWe want recognition, but it is always the same.
Soon friendships are formed - but - why we don't know,But some of these friendships, will flourish and grow.We give kisses and hugs, and sometimes we'll flirt,In IMs we chat deeply, and reveal why we hurt.
Why is it on screen, we are so easily bold,Telling our secrets, that have never been told.The answer is simple, it is as clear as a bell,We all have our problems, and need someone to tell.
We can't tell real people, but tell someone we mustSo we turn to our 'puters ...and to those we can trust.Even though it sounds crazy...the truth still remains, Most of my "friends" have no faces...and odd little names.
by Rusty Black
Today, we have web cams, skype, Google+ and so much more than IM's, but we still don't know the stories behind every Internet name we come across.

I am blessed to have each of you in my life.
Thank you.

5 comments:

littleyellowuke said...

This is so fitting and true I value each and every one of my online friends and only wish my arms were long enough to give you all in real life hugs. until then know that the virtual hugs sent are sent from the heart x

Sue said...

I value my friendships online, especially my knitting friends. I too wish that I could meet all of them, but watching podcasters it feels as though we are gettting to know you all a little bit at a time. Hugs to you too xxxx

Adrienne said...

That is beautiful and so fitting. Thank you for sharing.

Much love to you Coggie.

tamit said...

My online friends are valued so much. Sad that it is times like this when we are prompted to let each other know. Real Life or Knitchats, you are my friends. You are valued more than you will know.

Denise said...

My online friends mean the world to me. They make me feel I am surrounded by love every day.