30 June, 2012

Tour de Fleece '12

Today was day 1 of Tour de Fleece. This is a fiber race against your own goal for all of the days of the Tour de France bike race.
Today started the race and I started my spinning.
This is my 3rd year as a participant. Each year before, my goal has been to spin a certain amount of time each day. This year I decided to tackle something different.

My goal: To spin up the 2.5 lbs of a lt. grey Shetland fleece that I purchased in 2010. TdF Day 1 - 2.5 lbs lt. grey Shetland

That is 40 ounces in 23 days with two days off for rest. That means I need to spin at least 2 ounces a day and ply as I can to clear bobbins.



My start:
Today got off to a bad start, as I had not cleared my bobbins. I need to ply up almost 500 yards of a polwarth/silk I had on the wheel before I could even start. Yeah- nothing like procrastination huh.
Once that was plied and set to soak, I started my testing for two ply or three ply in the Shetland.
Results: I like the two ply.

I have spun up 1 ounce and calling it quits for today.
1 oz spun
That means I need to spin 3 ounces tomorrow.
Oh darn!

1 comment:

Debbie T said...

Good luck!!...btw, don't you just love your Ladybug? I have one also and although I don't get to spin as much as I'd like, I LOVE my wheel!!!