21 December, 2010

Blessed Solstice!

The day that brings back the sun is a day that I will celebrate!
I miss the sun.
Living in the northern part of the US, I get SAD, so days with little sunlight make me feel a bit off.

Yesterday I made:

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread

3 Cups all purpose flour
5 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
3 Cups granulated sugar
1 (15 oz) can Libby's 100% pure pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1 cup Fresh or frozen cranberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flur 2 9x5 loaf pans
Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
Combine sugar, pumpkin, oil and OJ in large mixer bowl and beat until bleanded.
Add Pumpkin mixture to flour mixture, stir until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
Spoon batter into loaf pans.
Bake for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cool on wire racks for ten minutes. Pop out of pans and allow to cool completely.
Well, I need to learn how to read the recipe and not assume I know what I am doing. I used a 29oz can of pumpkin instead of a 15oz can and did not realize this until I was pouring it into the loaf pans. Yeah, I had double the batter. As I didn't have double the pans, I improvised.



Pumpkin Bread

I made up two tin foil "pans" in my 13 x 9 inch pan. It worked great.



Yum!



I was afraid the pumpkin would be over powering in the bread, but it tastes amazing!

And this is coming from me, I do not like pumpkin, normally.

Happy Solstice to all!

2 comments:

Debbie T said...

I know exactly how you feel. I can tolerate a few days of no sun, but several, I don't do so good.
Your bread looks yummmy...I love pumpkin, so I'm going to have to try this one...thank you for sharing!!!
I hope you feel 'together' very soon!!!

kelli-e said...

I heard this recipe on your podcast the other day and thought it sounded delish. I am a sucker for all things pumpkin and cranberry (heck ya, there's a bog down the street). I am thinking of adding some walnuts too.

Thanks for sharing Sarge on the podcast. You two are adorable :)